Translate

Friday, October 16, 2009

Co-ops are for People, Coops are for Chickens


The Chicken Coop


Remnants of the Foundation

I've mentioned we have a shed on our property which used to be a chicken coop. It was a large coop at one time. The concrete foundation is around 30 feet long and 9 feet wide. It had a concrete floor. The present shed sits on the first third of the foundation. There is still the remnants of the door the birds would enter / exit through. There are 2 large doors on the front, one I had to build. I don't think such doors would have been original. I put some metal roofing on the coop a few years ago as the rolled roofing and sub-roof were started to let water through.

The space makes a good place to put the lawn furniture in the winter. It is dry, and the hard floor means its does not get muddy.

We have a picture that a neighbor snapped in the 60's. The garage was not in the photo at it was not built until 1974. You can see the entire length of the coop in the photo. The neighbor noted that when much of the coop was knocked down (my guess was to make way for the garage), the smell was quite awful.

Chicken Feed Trough

I have come across a number of chicken feed troughs in the barn. They all look to be 8 feet long and approx. 7 inches wide. I believe I have about 6 of these. They look to be in good shape and would make good flower boxes if they are cleaned up. I'm not sure what I will do with them.

No comments: