I noticed some rot on the fascia on the roof over the front porch. Okay, no big deal. Just rip down the old board and throw up a new one, right?
Well, if you are an old home owner, you know that things are usually not that simple.
Almost every time I rip out some old wood, there is usually a lot more damage hidden away. A 1 hour job ends up taking 4! Water is the enemy of all structures. When you find some damage, you have to figure out where it is coming from, or you will have the same problem again. So it was with some fear and trepidation that I tackled this job.
I got some 1 x 6 boards from 'Home Desperate' and primed them. I pulled out the ladder, hammer and pry bar and tackled the fascia. I struggled with it at first, but once I got it partially separated from the framing, it came off fast. I was relieved that only the fascia was damaged. It appears that water was finding its way down the overlap between 2 sections of drip-edge. No problem. I put up the new fascia, painted the front of the fascia, and wrapped the corners in sheet metal flashing for a clean edge. Whew - just a 1 hour job. Dodged that bullet!
Being Memorial Day weekend, I hung a red, white and blue bunting over the porch.
Happy Memorial Day!