Translate

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Merganser 3.0




As I looked at the merganser decoy, I decided to square up the tail somewhat, add more curve to the neck, and reduce the height of the body somewhat to make the decoy a little more streamlined. I then finished the fine sanding of the merganser decoy and gave it a coat of grey primer.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the carving. The texture on the bark helps to define the wings. The lines are pretty good, though next time I would flatten out the tail more and reduce the size of the breast somewhat.

I used a grey primer as the wings on the female merganser are a dark grey. The head will be a rusty red, while the belly feathers are a lighter grey. I still haven't decided how I will do the eyes, or whether I will distress it some more. The body did check somewhat as it dried, so it is starting to have that whithered look.

I won't be working on this until after Christmas. I hope to be finished by New Years. Keep on the lookout for a final photo.

1 comment:

~ RM said...

THat is looking so good!! I can't wait to see it fully finished! I just heard of this 'antiquing paint' to use when you want that aged look. I'm going to see where I can get some and try it out.

Btw, I love you. Thanks for being my dad. You are one of the greatest guys I have ever known. :)