Translate

Monday, November 29, 2010

Found It!

As you may know, we split our time between our home in the Finger Lakes area of NY and Vermont.  Recently, work brought me to Vermont.  I went to the local library in town and rediscovered a favorite book of mine, "The Soul of Lambs - a Fable".  It is a book by a local shepherd / writer / teacher named Don Mitchell.  Don is noted for his Upcountry books, following his life moving to Vermont and raising sheep and his family.  This book is a piece of fiction which explores a widowed shepherds life raising sheep.  It brings out themes about stewardship and the cycles of life.  It really resonated with me.  My daughter worked on the Mitchell farm one spring during lambing season.  While working there one cold night she helped bring a lamb into the world.  What a great experience for her -  and a great memory for me and Mrs. Tractor!    I will need to find a copy for my library.  If you get a chance to read it, let me know what you think!



Enjoy!

1 comment:

~ Regan said...

Aw.. I miss working with animals. Ill never forget that one tiny lamb who almost didn't make it. He was the sweetest little thing.....