Translate

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Larches

Tamarack - American Larch

We have 3 tamaracks (also known as American larches) on our property (we had a fourth, but had to have it it removed this year as it was dead).

Tamaracks look like evergreens. They have needle-like leaves and seed cones. Unlike regular conifers, they will drop their needles in the fall.

I never paid much attention to the tamaracks in our yard. They are somewhat non-descript in the summer, and I always thought they looked a little weak in the winter without their needles. Today, I noticed their fall colors. They were clad in a mustard yellow. Strange - I never seemed to notice their needles on the ground. I never seemed to catch them changing color. I need to pay more attention to the trees, their names and their lives.

No comments: