Translate

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Hidden Jungle

Yesterday was moist and muggy.  Though it did not rain, the high humidity seemed to sap the energy if you worked outside.

It was time to knock down the knotweed.  I took a file to my trusty scythe, and started on the knotweed.


Though the knotweed is a nuisance to me, it is a world unto itself.  As the knotweed is damp (both being by the creek and due to the recent rains), it was full of slugs.  There were loads of yellow field slugs (these are the ones you typically find in your garden).


I saw a veritable army of ants swarming up and about a broken stalk of knotweed.  I wonder what they were so involved with?


The knotweed was also home to snails.  They were all very small (about the size of a fingernail).  I need to figure out what they are . . .



I also walked along the stream bank with my machete to knock back the low-hanging knotweed shoots.  The damp and sweat was pouring of me.  I felt like I was in a rainforest!

The damp conditions have brought out the mushrooms.


I also did a lot of work in the garden.  We harvested the kale, replaced the sugar snap peas with some new green bean seed, harvested the last of the spring spinach, pulled a few green beans, and harvested 4 dozen carrots.  The garden is really in overdrive!



No comments: