Translate

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Roaming Around

I felt like taking a drive and stopping on the side of the road to capture some photos.


People are surprised by the number of maple sugar shacks about.  There are quite a few sugar maples in the area.




I have never lived in an area with so many farms and barns.  I read somewhere that there are more barns per square mile in this part of the country than anywhere else in the USA.






Many of these building are slowly decaying.  This building was covered at some point with asphalt shingles.  My barn was covered this way.  I never quite understood the benefits of this type of siding.  It tended to fall off over time.


Other structures are racked and will succumb to the pull of gravity . . .





The tamaracks (American Larches) are at peak.  These trees will be the last to drop their needle-like leaves. This stand really popped against the hillside not that all is left are 'sticks'.



I came across an abandoned truck in a tall stand of knotweed.



It was a 1960's era REO.  They combined with the Diamond T company in the 1970's to form Diamond REO.  REO was named for Ransom E. Olds, a founder of the Olds Motor Company (later Oldsmobile). Diamond REO is now defunct.  I wonder how long this truck has sat there?








No comments: