Translate

Friday, May 11, 2012

Garden Time

A few years ago the wife and I had visited Sturbridge Village.  It is a recreation of an early 19th century New England village.  I overheard one of the farmers talking to one the the visitors.

"What are you planting?"

"Corn, beans and cabbage."

"What about tomatoes?"

"Oh - you must be one of those city folk.  Since you can buy staples in town, you must have time to grow tomatoes!"

I guess I am one of those city folk also.  I love to grow tomatoes.  But . . .

. . . it is still too cold to put out tomatoes in (or green beans, basil, lettuce, chilis, etc.).

We did put plant some potatoes, carrots and turnip today.  They don't mind the minor frosts we might still get.  The new raised beds should be great for them.


I put up trellises for the green beans.  



I already put up the tomato cages.  I decided to do something different this year.  Instead of pushing the cages into the ground, I put the cages into the beds upside-down before I put the soil in the raised beds.  I folded the long tangs over to strengthen the cages.  They are super sturdy.  I'll let you know how they work.




No comments: