Translate

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter!

We have had mild weather the last few weeks.  No rain, and temperatures just below freezing up the the 50's.  

The creek is very low - it looks like summertime levels.


I've started back about the yard and gardens.  I raked out all the flower beds, including the 'White' garden and the 'Shade' garden.  The hostas are coming up.  The larger ones are thin in the center.  I probably should divide them!


The sedum are also coming up.  I moved one of our sedum that was near the barn.  This sedum we call the 'Nanny Regan' plant as it was from a cutting that my wife's maternal grandmother took from a plant from her mother!  I also divided it, so we have one to share.



The daffodils have been up for quite a while . . .


The stella d'oro lillies are coming up . . .


. . . as are the tiger lillies, irises, bleeding heart and peonies.  I've noticed the black-eyed susans coming in.  I am on the lookout for my lone trillium, as well as the shasta daisies and other favorites.

I transplanted an old rose bush near the barn where I don't have to mow around it.  It is a hardy plant and seems to do very well.

The warm weather has the grass growing quickly.  I did my first mowing yesterday.  I ca't remember mowing in early April!

I  'decommissioned' our vegetable garden.  I pulled out the stone border, leveled the space, and seeded it with grass seed.  We are going to put in raised beds in front of the barn in the next few weeks.   I expect we will triple the size of the garden.

I turned over the compost piles.  I consolidated them from three bins into two bins.  By the fall, I'll have 1/2 a bin of compost for the vegetable gardens.

The wife and I have to agree on the raised beds and what we will plant.  Tomatoes and green beans are always a favorite.  We might try potatoes.  We put herbs and peppers in pots.  We'll also grow spinach.

No comments: