Translate

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Twins

It's been hot and dry the past several weeks.  Just a month ago we were in Alaska gazing upon snow-capped mountains.  Now, its is nearly 90 degF.  We have not had much rain.  Though the weather is good for tomatoes, the grass is slowly drying out and turning brown.  Once we get a good soaking rain it will recover.  It always does.

The dry-spell means the creek is down.  There is but a slow, trickle of warm water over algae-covered rocks.  But it is water, and where there is water, there is life.

Last night, we walked to the creek and watched the little fish schooling around.  How they make it through the dry spells, the winter freezes, and the high, cold spring torrents I'll never know.



Today, I was looking out from our library and saw two deer by the creek.  We don't see many deer on our property in the summer.  When we do, it has been when it is hot.  They were young fawns, still in there spotted coats, exploring the knotweed by the creek.

I called the wife and we ventured out to see them.  I bid her to keep watching them while  grabbed the camera.  We got a few photos, then they darted behind the barn.  I went to one side of the barn, creeping around to take a few photos.  I saw them in the creek.  I was ready to take another photo.  My wife went had went to the other side of the barn. She got closer to the deer, but then startled them.  I missed my chance for more photos.

I ventured down to the creek tonight as the sun was setting.  It was cool, lush and peaceful near the trickle of water.  Where there is water, there is life. . .

3 comments:

~ Regan said...

So sweet! Ah, I love deer....

~ Regan said...

So sweet! Ah, I love deer....

Carole said...

Just think, in less than a week you will be taking pictures of quaint shops and all the sights Lyon has to offer.. regardless, the little deer are freaking cool!