Translate

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Northern Pike

This is the time of year I get some free time to do a few projects in the workshop.  Nothing fancy, just some puttering around working on a craft or two.

I had seen a primitive norther pike carving at the Shelburne Museum gift shop a while ago.  I decided to make one.


It was a little chilly in the workshop.  I could see my breath condensing, so I turned on the propane heater.  When we get into February, I will need to wear gloves, even with the heater (I should insulate the workshop one of these years...).

I got a 20 inch a piece of (relatively) straight grained 2 x 4 and drew out the basic shape.  I roughed out the pattern on the band saw.  I will need to make the fins with either thin panels or metal sheeting.


On to the draw knife.  After about 20 minutes I had a nice pile of shavings and a rough shape.    


The propane gave out just as I was ready to start to plan for the fins.

Time to go refill the propane tank.  The pike will have to wait . . .

2 comments:

charlesweissart.com said...

Looks like a great project. i look forward to seeing the finished carving of a pike.

Uncle Tractor said...

Thanks. I hope to get the other fins on this weekend and start on the sanding (if the workshop isn't too cold!).