Translate

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Unexpected Simple Pleasures

Part of my bi-weekly ritual is to do a heavy weeding about the yard.  I cut down the ever-pervasive Knotweed, weeded the shade garden, mowed the grass, turned over the compost piles, trimmed around the building, fertilized the gardens, and weeded the white garden.

As I was poking about the yard, I was surprised a number of times!

I came across spittle bugs!


Okay, know they aren't the nicest little critters.  Some people even take great actions to get rid of them.  But I remember these as a kid.  I was always amazed that some little insect could wrap itself in a cocoon of froth to keep safe.  I've read they can be destructive - but I've only seen them on Goldenrod.  I've never had a problem with them.  Live and let live I guess!

As I was weeding the white garden, I came across this patch of flowers.  They resembled Phlox, but the leaves seem wrong.  I wonder what they are?


I pulled a bunch of Goldenrod and Dame's Rockets.  Nested in them were several groups of Irises I had planted a few years ago.




That what is great about being in the yard - you never know what you will find!

No comments: