Translate

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Winter Wonderland

I went snowshoeing again today. It was very cold - around 10 degF.  It wasn't too windy, but there was a steady wind from the east.  The day was overcast.  We expect some snow tonight.

I decided to venture out to the Green Mountain National Forest again.  The Robert Frost parking area was open, so I started there.  I decided to go south and follow the Widow's Clearing trail.  It would be around 5 miles in total.

The woods were quiet.  Because of the grey sky it was somewhat somber.  The woods were cloaked in white, and the trees seemed to have grey bark.



That being said, it was still beautiful.  I came across a small tree that seemed to put any man-made Christmas tree to shame.



Though it was very cold outside, there were still places were the ground was exposed due to melting water.  There were little patches of snow in the clear areas.  Beautiful ice crystals had formed on the snow patches.  They looked like ice flowers.



The rivers are starting to ice up.  In places, the ice was thick and almost blue-green.



After a few hours, I returned to my car.  I pulled by windproof layer off, and found I had ice crystals between the windproof layer and my outer fleece layer.  It was good to get home and enjoy a warm drink.

3 comments:

Eliza from Happy Simple Living said...

Uncle Tractor,
I loved hearing about your snowshoeing adventure and seeing your beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.

Simplifying in the South said...

My favorite is the Christmas tree. It's so picturesque!

Laura's Last Post: Dining In: Better than crack brownies

Uncle Tractor said...

Eliza - Thanks for stopping by. I've started to read your blog. Good stuff.

Laura - Thanks! The tree was amazing. I don't think it could hold any more snow!