Translate

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Setting Up The Workshop Vise

The workshop at the river house is smaller than the one at the old farmhouse, but it's layout is efficient.  Plenty of room for my tools, and good space on the workbench.

What I needed was a good wood working vise.  I wanted one that opened very wide so I could hold larger decoy  bodies, but one that I would also use with bench dogs.

I chose a Yost F10WW front mount bench vise.  It is comprised of the cast iron mounting plates and the screw drive.  You attach the vise to the underside of your bench and then add your own wooden jaws and handles.

Unlike all metal vises, you can install the metals parts to your bench, and then cuts the boards for the jaws to fit it to the bench.  In my case, my workbench is simply framed in 2x4s, so I added a few additional 2x4s to support the vise screw drive.


You can see the mounting plate for the movable jaw is pre-drilled for the movable jaw, whereas the fixed jaw will just be screwed to the bench.


I got some 1" oak boards and glued 2 together for the movable jaw face.  Another piece of 1" oak board was used for the fixed jaw face.

I had to drill holes for the screw drives and guide plates in the jaw faces, and then assemble the jaw faces.

I added a 1" oak dowel as the handle.


This vise opens about 10 inches.  Wide enough for any project.


It holds very well.


The next step is to mount the bench dogs...


No comments: